Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mapping Out my Route


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  I am honored to be participating for the first time this week with the topic "Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2011."

Since I am embarking on a relatively formal reading plan, I thought I would give you the preliminary schedule that I have sketched out, in case any of you would like to read along with me (using the translations I plan to use or finding totally different ones).  I'll update the schedule in the sidebar as I become more sure of timing.

1. Gilgamesh--starting  January 5th
     I plan to use the Stephen Mitchell translation as my spine but will discuss other versions as well.

***After Gilgamesh, I will have a couple of posts on the fact that I am not reading the Bible in this spot, even though it might make sense chronologically.  I will also have a brief discussion on various translations and their histories.

2. The Iliad by Homer--starting January 28th
     I plan to split my reading time between two fairly new translations: that of Robert Fagles and the translation by Stanley Lombardo.

3. The Odyssey by Homer
     Like with The Iliad, I will read a bit of both Fagles and Lombardo.

4. The Homeric Hymns
      I think I will use Diane Rayor's translation--but if you have suggestions, I would love to hear them.

5. Theogony and Work and Days by Hesiod
     Here again I will be using the Lombardo translation.

6. Poems by Sappho
     There are numerous translations of Sappho highly regarded by readers.  I'll be looking at several, including the ones done by Mary Barnard and Anne Carson.

7. Fables by Aesop
I will probably use the translation by Robert Temple.

More details forthcoming on the following:

8. Selected plays by Aeschylus

9. Selected plays by Sophocles

10. Selected plays by Euripides

No comments:

Post a Comment