Monday, March 7, 2011

Thinking More about Book Banning...

...and about Lady Chatterley's Lover.

After reading the thoughtful comments on yesterday's post, having a long discussion about book banning with my partner David, and reading the ALA banned books pages and other online resources, I came to the conclusion that I must read D.H Lawrence's novel.  Although I've read about it--and made a lot of assumptions about both the writing and the subject--I've not read a single word of the actual book.  And aren't our assumptions about books we haven't actually read a huge factor in so many efforts to ban books?

So instead of progressing today with my thoughts on women in the Odyssey or about Homer's creation of perhaps the first first-person narration, I'm off to read explicit sex and unprintable words.

Back to the ancients--really!--next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment